Friday, February 10, 2012

an early morning

It's an early morning today.  The chuckleheads are sick, again. Poor wittle ones. So I was up dispensing ibuprofen and cough medicine and rubbing backs and burying my face in their warm little necks.  They still smell like my babies even though they are growing up.

Normally I'd relish the extra hour of sleep and fall almost comatose back in the bed after getting them settled, but I am feeling nostalgic and introspective this morning.  Since I am not thoroughly exhausted I should go work out or something, but let's be serious...not gonna happen. No, I fired up the Keurig and am drinking coffee in silence, marred by the click of the keyboard and occasional coughs from the kiddies' rooms.

Having three kids is a whirlwind of crying and laughing."Craughing" as another blogger I dig calls it.  www.craughing.com  She refers to it as an art form.  Which it totally is, like so much of parenting. You can have the most rotten day and then your kids can make you laugh and turn it all around. Or your day can be fantastic and one of your babies can be hurt or sad and your actual soul cries with and for them.

Three kids also equals a whirlwind of activity. It's hard to devote individual attention to anyone. I remember when they were all tiny and getting up throughout the night. Some of my favorite memories are the nights when they all woke up individually. Yes, this is because no one wants multiple babies wailing like cats in heat in the middle of the night, but it is also because I remember sitting on the couch holding ONE baby and really adoring that one child with my whole heart. It was the only time I spent with each one alone. Don't get me wrong, when they all three slept through the night, this girl was beyond happy.

Now they are older and they interact with each other more than with me. But this is amazing to watch as well. At any given time they are all three playing Alvin and the Chipmunks, or Bubble Guppies, or Cars, or Jake and the Neverland Pirates, or their new favorite, Octonauts. I love to see them use their imaginations and play so well together. It is also funny to see how their true personalities always mandate which character they play. And damn if they don't always pretend I am the villian. I try not to take it personally. I am just glad they are letting me play. I make a pretty good Captain Hook. Just ask my scallywags.

6 comments:

  1. It really is hard to devote that individual time to each child. Mine are a bit older but I still find it difficult. You're doing a great job, momma...and apparently play a great villain! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have I told you that I love your writing? Because I really truly do!! Keep rocking it Momma!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brood is 8, 7 and 5.5. I am right there with you, craughing and loving every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it and LOVE your blog! My older 2 are like that now, 6 and 3. They play together and it is heavenly...until they come screaming and crying for me. I also have a 1 year old and I look forward to her getting older so she can play with them more but don't want to wish it away:(
    P.S. What is the deal with the Octonauts? I just don't get it but my 3 year old loves them...

    ReplyDelete