Wednesday, February 29, 2012

where the hell did she hear that?

So little adorable 2 year old C dropped a GD at school today. School is Mom's Morning Out at our church. Yikes
I will be the first to admit I have a potty mouth, but I try to curb it around my kids. And I don't say GD. I say shit, a lot. I say damn this and damn that. But I don't say GD.
Nor does my husband. Which leaves me to wonder where she heard this. And also embarrasses me because you know all of her teachers think that hubby and I throw that word around all the time if C is repeating it.And I am not easily embarrassed. If her teacher had told me that C said "what the shit?" when another kid took her toy at playtime, I would have nodded and apologized and thought, yeah, I should be more careful. If her teacher would have told me that C said "damn that chipmunk", I would have made an oops face and thought "better watch what I say around the little sponge". If one of the boys had said "what a dumbass" while at school I'd have thought, must tell hubby to stop watching the evening news and commenting on it in front of the kids.

But no, she dropped a GD and I honestly don't know where she even heard it. I am not easily offended, but I know this particular phrase really bothers people and I respect that. And although I do cuss like a trucker at times ( in the presence of adults), I am respectful of God and my faith and want to impress that upon my kids. I certainly want my kids to remain innocent as long as they can, and want their faith to grow untainted. But you know people think she heard that from me or hubby and judge us for it. I would.
I want to be a good influence on my kids, but I want them to be a good influence on other kids as well. I don't want my kids to be the ones with whom the other parents don't want their kids playing.
Our children are such reflections of us, and of the love and faith and compassion we show them. So I'm a little embarrassed that I look a bit like a heathen now. Especially since I heard A tell the same teacher one Sunday morning that he got in trouble for hitting me in the head with a frying pan.

7 comments:

  1. I'm really not snickering right now...kind of...but not really. Ugh, I hate when I hear that my kids have said something unsavory or potentially offensive. I always feel like such an ass. BUT...our kids have more influences than we probably realize so we can't always take full blame for their "extended" vocab. Hang in there, momma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking of a word and it rhymes with "school". One of those other little people said it and she repeated..fo sho'. Brody said the word "penis" at school a few weeks ago and I had to have a conference with them...even though it's a real human body part. The funny thing is, I am not sure he even knows what one is! He says "peepee". They just repeat what they hear, it's their special gift. Worry not, but I do know that heathen feeling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWWW try not to take it to personally. My kids say some stuff that I KNOW we have never said in front of them. And they repeat stuff that definitely does not need to be repeated! Oh and about the frying pan...my 3 yr old hit the older one with a play frying pan. I asked her why and she said she was playing Tangled. Good explanation right there:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to change my radio station because Bell was walking aroung singing,”I'm sexy and I know it.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate that they automatically assume that the parents are saying it--as if we succeeded in keeping our children in the bubble we would LIKE to keep them in! I hate it more when I am DOING the thing I swear I never do-- IN FRONT OF the child AND the teacher. Example? "Damn--I NEVER curse in front of the kids--I SWEAR!" This post really cracked me up--especially the frying pan--FUNNY!
    http://anothertiredmommy.blogspot.com/2011/10/to-curse-or-not-to-curse.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. That is tricky. We try to watch our mouth around the kids, but we often forget. Just the other day, the husband was working in the kitchen and told the dog, "Get the f*!# out Elvis!" Sure enough, the three-year-old girl says in a sing-songy voice, "Get the f*!# out Elvis." I about died.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our children may be reflections of us but they are *not* us. Their successes and mistakes are their own. If you're not taking the Lord's name in vain, then you should not feel embarrassed that your kid tried on a new word, you know? Princess fist bump and a hug. BTW, I don't like that word, or taking the Lord's name in vain either. Another aside: my daughter asked for a list of all the bad words when she was 6, so that she wouldn't mistakenly use one. She is mature, so I have her the list and except for an occasional "damn," she has done well not using any of those words. OK, I am babbling now . . .

    ReplyDelete